Friday, November 13, 2009

Most Embarrassing Moment

I've never been very good with machines or anything that's automated. That would include computers, photocopiers, fax machines, postage machines, especially VCR's, you get the idea! I'm especially afraid to try NEW machines and I usually won't try it until I absolutely have to.

When ATM machines came out, I was working in the NationsBank (now known as Bank of America) building which is the tallest building in downtown Dallas. I had received an ATM card from the bank, BUT since it was a machine, I vowed that I would never ever use it! Soon thereafter, they installed an ATM machine in the underground tunnel leading from the main building to the parking building. I walked by this ATM machine every day to and from my car. For weeks, maybe months, I walked by the ATM machine but I was too fearful to use it.

One day as I was going out for an early lunch, I realized that I didn't have any cash. I was late as usual and didn't have time to go to the main bank. I noticed that there wasn't anyone using the ATM machine as I approached it, nor was there anyone in the vacinity in either direction of the machine. So I whipped out my shiny ATM card. After several tries with the card, I finally inserted it correctly and proceeded to the next step. I was able to successfully put in the correct commands to actually receive some cash! I was so elated and feeling so proud of myself!

By this time, there was a line gathering behind me to use the machine. After I received my cash, I wanted my card back so when the machine asked me if I had any more transactions, I said YES! Well, I didn't know that I would get my card back once I let the machine know that I was finished. So I kept saying YES!

The line behind me was getting longer and longer and I was so flustered I was beside myself. Finally, some guy about 20 people back yelled, "Push NO"!!! He said it at the exact moment that I was about to push YES for the fourth or fifth time. So I pushed NO - out popped my card! I was so embarrassed that I didn't use that machine for a loooooonng time!

1 comment:

Brian in AK said...

Learning new things is frightening. We should all remember this and have patience for all those who are learning.