Friday, November 7, 2008

November Seven

Got a fairly new MacBook (broken)

Yesterday I was surfing craigslist and found someone selling a broken MacBook. It says water damage, won't power on, good for parts.

Well, I've been keeping an eye for something like that, because I wanted to have a laptop that can dual boot, switching between MacOS and WinXP. I contacted the seller, and after some negotiation got it for a really really really low price. Check eBay and broken a unit like this cost several hundred dollars. So now I have a project to do: to get this Mac working again. I am hoping that it will be just a simple problem, but to get to the problem, I'll have to take the unit apart and find out and fix what is wrong. I know that at this point power is not getting to battery and it just beep beep beep when I tried to turn it on.

This is a fairly new Mac, the invoice in the box says it was shipped from Apple just a couple months ago. It has the complete CD set, the power adaptor, and even the original Apple box! I guess the previous owner didn't want to spend the money to get it fixed.

The Mac itself is a Core 2 Duo 2.1 GHz CPU, with combo drive, 120 GB hard drive, and built-in iSight. I am looking forward to get this thing working again.

Oh one other thing: remember my iPhone that I paid $100 for it? I broke it an attempt to fix the volume control buttons. I got that fixed, but the Home button broke after that repair. I was so bummed and missed my iPhone, so I got the new 3G version a couple of days later. After contemplating whether to fix the broken one myself (you know I can do it!) or sell it, I decided to put up the broken unit for sale on eBay. No one bid on it till the last 10 minutes. Then the bidding war began, and at the last few seconds, the iPhone was sold for $200!!!!! Hemh, that paid for my new iPhone 3G. I am so happy !!!

A man and his toys.

3 comments:

The Nugen's said...

You are too funny.

The dual boot thing on the ibook is cool. We have one at work. The only bad thing is when you switch to WinXP, you can't right click.

Breenette said...

Niiice find! I am jealous! Steve and I both use Mac Books and LOVE them! We also have the 3G iPhones! Amazing sell on Ebay for your old one! It's awesome how that works out sometimes! I do love ebay for selling. Not so much for buying most of the time though. Craigslist seems to be the way to go these days for buying.

Stephanie said...

You eBayed your phone before offering your chillun a chance to buy it from you?